Monday, September 10, 2007

Slapstick Blog-a-thon: Jane Fonda and Wanda Sykes in "Monster in Law"

While I could have picked something from either Chaplin or Keaton (undeniably the supreme masters of slapstick and practically gods in my eyes), I decided to do something contemporary for this Blog-a-thon. The first movie that popped out at me was Robert Luketic's 2005 Jane Fonda/J. Lo comedy Monster in Law. While a lot of people hated this movie, I thought it was one of the freshest, funniest romantic comedies to come along in ages. Plus, it's got some of the funniest slapstick that still looks fresh even after multiple viewings (I laughed super hard even while trying to get these frames). Just take a look at this scene: it's the rehearsal dinner for Charli (J. LO) and Kevin's (Michael Vartan) wedding and Viola (Jane Fonda) and Charli have been fighting all night. Frustrated, and not willing to lose, Viola finally runs into the kitchen to put nuts in the gravy (which Charli is allergic to). Ruby (Wanda Sykes) runs in to try to stop her.






Ruby eventually talks Viola out of it, but it is too late because one of the other guests has brought out the tainted gravy and Charli is already eating it.




Eventually, Ruby and Viola realize they have to hide the evidence, so, in a moment obviously inspired by the Chocolate Factory episode of I Love Lucy, they start shoving the nuts anywhere they can.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I never saw this one coming. I was a little skeptical at first, but I have to admit that you had me laughing by the fourth screencap. Thanks for encouraging us to see something that isn't a critical (or popular?) favorite. Your set up and screencaps combination is refreshing change for these over read eyes. Films should be seen while discussed :) Thanks for contributing something unexpected to the blog-a-thon.

Joe Thompson said...

I was worried when I saw the title of your posting, but I kept an open mind and I loved it. You're right, it was a funny movie and that was a great scene.

Thank you for carrying us in a new direction.

Regards,
Joe Thompson ;0)