Sunday, August 26, 2007

Supporting Actress Smackdown: 1971

Once again I am participating in StinkyLulu's monthly Supporting Actress Smackdown and this go around we are doing 1971- a far cry (in terms of acting styles, that is) from my last Smackdown (1950). Overall, I'm not a huge fan of the 70's, and we all know this wasn't a kind decade to actresses, but this year offered some juicy parts and equally juicy performances. I thought I would be underwhelmed by the nominees, but, much to my surprise, I whole-heartedly enjoyed nearly every single one of them.



Who was my personal favorite? I'm going to have to cop out and declare a tie between two breathtaking performances in two totally different films:





(Ellen Burstyn in the sublime The Last Picture Show and Barbara Harris in the abysmal Who is Harry Kellerman, and Why is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me?)


To see which performance I absolutely hated (which was a shame because I love the woman), what the other Smackdowners think about the nominees and the overall winner, check out the 1971 Supporting Actress Smackdown.

1 comment:

J.D. said...

I've never heard of Harris' film, but the title just makes me so giggly!