Monday, June 16, 2008

Everything's Coming Up Roses for Patti LuPone

In case you haven't heard, the one and only Patti LuPone, Broadway diva extraordinare, won her second Tony Award last night for playing Mama Rose in the recent revival of Gyspy. I didn't watch the Tony Awards live, but I was talking with one of my dearest friends Shannon (who's obsession with Patti LuPone rivals on mine with Judy Garland or Bette Davis) and she told me to check out her acceptance speech. Here it is for you to enjoy and I bet you'll especially love the ending when the band tries to cut her off and Patti LuPone has a few choice words for them. What a diva!



Although I'll probably never get to see LuPone in this show, I'll settle for this splendid interpretation of "Rose's Turn," one of my favorite numbers in all of Broadway history.


1 comment:

Buzz Stephens said...

Please consider joining Yahoo's The Judy Garland Experience, the worlds largest, and most exciting, Judy group.
We feature a plethora of constantly changing and ultra rare audio files, as well as an amazing photo gallery filled with never before seen images of Judy.
Our membership includes Garland family members, authors, film makers, people who knew and worked with Judy, celebrities, and fans of all levels.
The only one missing is you!
Stop by our little Judyville today and check it out.
Here is the link:
http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/thejudygarlandexperience/