Tuesday, June 14, 2011

So the Tony Awards Happened Sunday Night

Believe it or not, I'm actually not too big on Broadway and modern musical theatre. I find it hard to care about shows I'll never get to see starring actors whose only exposure outside of the theatre appears to be Law & Order: SVU. So how did I find myself watching the three-hour live telecast of the Tony Awards on Sunday night if I don't know anything about Broadway? Randomly, for very different reasons, I had recently found myself listening to and loving the cast recordings for The Book of Mormon, the night's big winner and brain child of South Park creators (and my heroes) Trey Parker and Matt Stone, and Catch Me If You Can, starring the sexiest man in musical theatre, Aaron Tveit. I loved these cast recordings so much, and because I had nothing else better to do, I decided to turn on the ceremony. Well color me surprised, the Tony Awards telecast turned out to be one of the quickest, wittiest, sprightliest awards ceremonies of the past couple years. Neil Patrick Harris proved to be an amazing host; his opening musical number and his duet with Hugh Jackman were easily two of the night's highlights. While most people focused on the nominated shows, I, obviously, was focused on the hot singing and dancing men.


The first is, obviously, the amazing Aaron Tveit. How one man can be so gorgeous and talented is beyond me. And he looks absolutely smashing in a pilot's uniform. You can only imagine the amount of bad sexual puns--"I want him to fly me", "Prepare for landing on me", etc.--that ran through my mind during his performance. I just love him so much. The second man is Andrew Rannells, star and Tony-nominee for his performance in The Book of Mormon. You already know I have a thing for hot Mormons, so Rannells was an absolute delight in the looks department (He can covert me any day, etc.). And he's quite talented in the vocal department as well. Check out his performance from last night's show, singing "I Believe." And then watch Aaron Tveit and Norbert Leo Butz perform a medley of songs from Catch Me If You Can. I would have been more devastated that we only got about one minute of Tveit singing if it hadn't been for the fact that Butz sings my favorite song from the entire show, "Don't Break the Rules."


No comments: