Monday, January 29, 2007

A Warped Sense of Humor If I've Ever Seen One








Okay, so I've been told (or at least I like to believe) that I have an unique sense of humor. Think of the most offensive thing you could possibly say and I'll probably laugh. For example, I've said to my Jewish friend Sammi repeatedly that her people killed my Savior (even though I'm an Athiestic Catholic---more about that later). So, if you'll indulge me, I'd like to explore my sense of humor and the various places it comes from:

1. The Golden Girls: As I've said before, I have watched "The Golden Girls" on Lifetime since the 6th grade. I've probably seen every episode 15 times and can almost quote word for word some of my favorite episodes. How does this affect my sense of humor?: I think it's in the way the girls make fun of each other and can take a joke while still loving each other. From Sophia's cantankerous, old-age quips and Dorothy's yelling and general mean disposition to Blanche's bitchy, aging Southern belle rants and Rose's random confusion. I especially love it whenever they gang up on Rose whenever she tells a St. Olaf story...priceless.

2. South Park: I first started watching this show after my friend Ashley told me about it back in 11th grade. I fell in love with the show and have seen almost every episode. How does this affect my sense of humor?: What other show can you think of that can make fun of "The Passion of the Christ", Catholic priests, Tom Cruise and police framing black people? I'd love to say that this where the offensiveness of my sense of humor got started.

3. Duck Soup: Everytime I see this 1933 Marx Brothers classic, I fall more and more in love with it. How does this affect my sense of humor?: The randomness of the one-liners and, come to think of it, almost every other joke, really inspires me. If only I could write a screenplay in which every single line is a one-liner just like in this one.

4. Keaton and Chaplin: The greatest of the silent clowns (I don't get Lloyd) and every film of theirs is a masterpiece (well, maybe there are a few duds...). How does this affect my sense of humor?: I laugh everytime I see someone fall down.

5. World War II: Now, this is rather offensive, but hear me out. What Hitler did was terrible, but can you think of another dictator who is this much fun? I mean, Jesus, he inspired "Springtime For Hitler"! Add to that concentration camps, the Holocaust, Japanese kamikaze's and the Hiroshima bomb and you've got plenty of offensive hilarity to last for a long time. How does this affect my sense of humor?: Ashley and I have been thinking about writing "Holocaust! The Musical" ever since Photography class last year (quietly, of course, because we didn't want Mr. Dewey to hear).

Well, here's the basic components to my screwed up sense of humor. Tell me what you think with a lovely comment.

No comments: