Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My Blog is Ready to Start Kindergarten, or: Rants of a Diva Turns Five Years Old

On this very day in 2007, I was sitting in my dorm room, indulging in my latest obsession: reading film blogs. As a freshman in college, I had quickly learned how to be as unproductive as possible, and keeping up with these blogs was the perfect way to kill time when I should have been writing a paper. On this fateful night, however, a thought suddenly occurred to me: "Hey, I can write just as well as these people. And I have a ton of ideas. Why don't I start a blog of my own?" It was then that Rants of a Diva was born.

And now it's five years later. Wow, where has the time gone? It seems like just yesterday I was defending Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls. So, to celebrate this momentous occasion, I have decided to do something a little different. I listed my five favorite things in a host of different, entirely random categories. It's a bit silly, sure, but what do you expect from this oddball section of the interweb? 

EDIT: So it turns out I'm a complete retard and my blogiversary was on the 29th of January. Let's just pretend it's today, okay?

Five Actresses I Can Watch in Anything
01. Bette Davis
02. Anne Hathaway
03. Marilyn Monroe
04. Norma Shearer
05. Judy Garland

Five Favorite Working Directors
01. Arnaud Desplechin
02. Spike Lee
03. Andrea Arnold
04. Judd Apatow
05. Michael Moore

One Direction Members, From Fave to Least Fave
01. Zayn
02. Liam
03. Harry
04. Niall
05. Louis

Five Favorite Classic Boyband Songs
01. O-Town "All or Nothing"
02. *NSYNC "Tearin' Up My Heart"
03. Backstreet Boys "As Long As You Love Me"
04. Take That "Back For Good"
05. 98 Degrees "The Hardest Thing"

Five Favorite ABBA Album Tracks
01. "Disillusion"
02. "As Good As New"
03. "Tiger"
04. "Bang-A-Boomerang"
05. "Me and I"

Five Favorite Moments in Spice World
01. "This dress is dry clean only, Melanie!"
02. The Alien Encounter
03. "AND I'M VICTORIA, MALCOLM!"
04. Mel C. rolling her eyes every time Geri shares some useless knowledge with the group
05. The Bomb on the Bus

Five Favorite Best Supporting Actor Nominees (Non-Winners)
01. Claude Rains, Casablanca
02. Richard Widmark, Kiss of Death
03. Sal Mineo, Rebel Without a Cause
04. Al Pacino, The Godfather
05. Casey Affleck, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

Five Things I Admire About Lady Gaga
01. The way she makes every music video an Event.
02. How quickly she has matured her sound (even if I don't necessarily like where it has gone).
03. The way she has made the label "pop artist" a compliment rather than a criticism.
04. Her work ethic. Girlfriend never stops doing it all.
05. Her ability to manipulate convince her fans that she has invented many of the elements of her persona that she has borrowed from/expanded upon other pop icons.

Five Reality Shows That Have Had a Profound Impact on My Life
01. Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica
02. Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List
03. American Idol
04. Hey Paula!
05. Jersey Shore

Five Favorite Lesbians
01. Ellen DeGeneres
02. Wanda Sykes
03. Tabatha Coffey
04. Jane Lynch
05. Suze Orman

Five Things I Want to Accomplish in 2012
01. Find a job that doesn't make me want to stab people
02. Finish my screenplay (The Single One, coming soon to a theatre near you)
03. Try yoga
04. Interview a celebrity
05. Meet One Direction

No comments: