Friday, July 10, 2009

Sebastian Stan = Paul Newman?







In case you haven't noticed, I've been a bit obsessed with Sebastian Stan lately. I've been trying to spread the love out in case you're getting sick and tired of me talking about him (and his amazing girlfriend Leighton Meester), but I keep finding more and more pictures and info about him that I simply must share that it's hard not to get excited and post it all right in a row. Anyways, I found these pics of Sebastian from a GQ spread earlier this year that had me intrigued. Sebastian, of course, looks gorgeous in the photos, but if you click on the first one and read the intro for the photo spread, you'll see that Paul Newman was an inspiration for the look and such. That's all fine and dandy (you can't do much better than emulating Paul Newman as a style icon) but I found it odd that the writer refers to Sebastian as a "dead ringer" for Newman. Really? At first, I had no clue where they were coming from. How could this odd looking, Romanian-born fellow be a "dead ringer" for the classically handsome, all-American Paul Newman? I then thought about their acting styles and abilities and came to the conclusion that they are actually quite similar in that regard. Newman was never exactly what you call a "comedian." Even in films as light and "carefree" as The Sting or Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, he was still much better with the drama than anything else. And the same thing goes for Stan: the more episodes of Kings I see, the less I believe that he could ever headline a light, fluffy romantic comedy successfully. It's not exactly an insult, just an observation about the types of roles that suit them. Hell, even Meryl Streep can't do it all. Then I looked at these photos repeatedly and I slowly realized they must be on to something because I'm starting to buy this Newman lookalike thing. Granted, I don't think they're long lost twins born in different times or anything, but I can see where they are coming from. How about you? Do you see any similarities between the two or do you think they are worlds apart?

5 comments:

J.D. said...

Does this mean Leighton will win an Oscar 30 years before him?!

Marcy said...

He kinda has that sleepy Paul Newman smile going on in the first picture.

I kinda see it, I kinda don't. But they're both good-looking guys.

Anonymous said...

I think he's good-looking, but I don't see the Paul Newman comparison at all. The only thing I've seen him act in was that horrible movie The Covenant, and although there was not one ounce of believable acting in that whole thing, I'm sorry to say that his performance was especially egregious. Maybe it was just the material he had to work with, but seriously...

Nick Plowman said...

I don't get the comparison, completely. I just love the photos <3 So, on with that obsession of yours!

Emma said...

Pretty, but not as pretty as Paul!

Also, I'd just like to say that I'm in love with your header. I've currently got a bit of a guilty crush on Efron, and Leighton is like, ma ultimate girlcrush. Awesome!