Friday, December 5, 2008

Same Difference is the Most Ridiculous Group on the Planet...And That's Why I ♥ Them

About two months ago, I talked for a bit about Same Difference, the eternally cheerful and unapologetically cheesy British brother and sister duo who took third place on the reality show The X-Factor. This past Monday, they released their debut album, simply titled Pop, and let me be the first to say it's utterly fantastic. It's not as groundbreaking as something like Girls Aloud's Out of Control and sounds vaguely similar to S Club 7's first album, but it's full of energy and spunk and is compulsively listenable. The first single, "We R One," is as cheesy as you would expect, but it's done without any shame and is actually quite inspiring. I'm not going to lie- it definitely puts a smile on this grouchy face every time I hear it. Remember when I mentioned that they remind me of Sharpay and Ryan from HSM? Well, they don't sing one of their songs, but, of course, they take on one of the Troy and Gabriella tracks ("Breaking Free") on their album and it's 100 times better than the original.

What I love most about Same Difference is, however, how deliriously happy and upbeat they always are. In every picture I see of them, they're always grinning like a bunch of insane children who have never gotten their picture taken before. Normally, I would want to punch them in the face, but Sarah and Sean are just so adorable I can't help but to grin like a moron right back at them. Plus, check out their website. Isn't it the most amazing thing you've ever seen? Have you ever seen a group this committed to their cheesy, loveable persona? If you click on the "For Grownups" link, look on the far right for their video diary and click on the Zac Efron one. Who knew stalking Zac Efron could be so endearing? I don't know about you, but I'm sad at the end when *spoilers*Sarah doesn't meet him (and Sean doesn't get to meet Vanessa Hudgens, whom he "fancies")*end spoilers* They really need their own so-crappy-it's-good movie à la Spice World pronto. I would watch that in a minute.


We're psychotically happy all of the time!...But loveable and oh so cute!

6 comments:

Vance said...

Seriously? This group is for real? It's so... weird... and wonderful! (I'm a BIG S Club 7 fan.. ha). God I love British Pop. They really know how to do cheese!

OMG I'm watching the We R One video and I think I'm utopia!

Dame James said...

I know, I couldn't believe them myself the first time I heard them! This is why the best pop music in the world comes from Britain; no American act would ever be taken seriously in America if they did half of the insane, cheesy shit Same Difference does. This is why America sucks and misses out on some great music.

"We R One" is golden! Love the video and the dancing.

mB said...

OMG. I'm going to pretend like I hadn't been waiting for their album to come out since I stumbled on to their website a couple of weeks ago (and saw the formally mentioned Zeffron clip) :P

Anonymous said...

I've been following X Factor this year- Thank you Bittorent- and Same Difference performed last week. They were- what's the word I'm looking for- bizarre. Seriously, they were like a MadTV parody of a cheesy pop group. Perfection!

Dame James said...

Yes, bizarre is the only way to describe that performance on X-Factor last week (which I caught on their website, of course). But, as I've said, that's part of their charm.

Kayleigh said...

They scare me. I get a series Flowers in the Attic vibe from that pair.