Monday, February 12, 2007

Top 10 Songs of 2006- #6


#6- Fergie "London Bridge"
Am I the only person who believes that Fergie was a welcome addition to the Black Eyed Peas? I can't be because before Fergie came around, the only mainstream song anybody had ever heard from them was the minor hit "Request Line" with Macy Gray. After Fergie, however, they can't stop the hits from pouring in: "Where is the Love?", "Shut Up", "Hey Mama", "Let's Get it Started", "Don't Phunk With My Heart" and "My Humps". Being the major force that she is in the Black Eyed Peas, it only seems natural that she would try the solo thing for awhile. And damn am I ever glad that she did.
"London Bridge" has got to be one of the best so-bad-it's-fucking-amazing pop songs of the year (Her "Fergalicious" is probably the only rival). The song is SO obviously about oral sex that an 8 year old Mormon child would probably understand the "hidden" metaphor. But Fergie's not ashamed about the trashiness "London Bridge" and, in fact, sings the song with all the energy (sexual and not) she can muster. There's something to be said about a song that makes what to sing along with all of my might every time it comes on radio.
Fergie has her haters out there, and I can see why, but here's what I say about that: If you want poetry, listen to Bob Dylan. If you want to dance, listen to Fergie. She's not trying to write meaningful lyrics that will resonate for generations to come-she's writing songs that are catchy as hell and make you want to move that will hopefully be around for years to come.

No comments: