Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What a Day!




Today was a pretty interesting day in the world of arts for me- and it was all spectacular. I first got to see Jean-Luc Godard's 1960 film Breathless and was really impressed. Like a great Altman film, there's not much story going on, but what's on the screen is magic. I couldn't take my eyes off of the beautiful, budding romance between car thief Michel (Jean-Paul Belmondo) and American reporter-wannabe Patricia (Jean Seberg). Even if Belmondo wasn't so good looking (more about that in an upcoming post, I'm sure) I think I would still want to stare at these two. Unfortunately for me, I must have been a little too tired this afternoon and dozed off for a couple of minutes before the finale, so this is definitely one I'm going to have to see again (and I'm not complaining!).
Next, I rented Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette and watched that in the afternoon. Now, I'm going to admit that I am a fan of the Norma Shearer 1938 version (and even believe Norma gives one of her greatest performances in it), but Coppola's version offers up a whole different take on it. The costumes and sets were fan-freaking-tastic and nearly took my breath away on several occasions (the scene where Marie first arrives at the palace springs to mind). And Kirsten Dunst is the perfect choice for this fabulous Queen. I now want to live like Marie when I grow up (and eat all of that great food!).
Finally, I saw a production of the musical version of John Waters' Hairspray. I have yet to see this movie, but I'm a huge fan of John Waters' other trashy films (I'd defend the greatness of Cecil B. Demented until my death and Divine was fabulously over-the-top in Female Trouble) so I figured I would enjoy this- and boy did I ever. I haven't heard this hilarious and memorable lyrics in a long time (I'm still singing "You Can't Stop the Beat" two hours after the show) and most of the performances/characters made my day. I now can not wait until the film version with Michelle Pfieffer, John Travolta and Queen Latifah.

No comments: