Friday, February 2, 2007

Top 10 Songs of 2006- #9


#9- Gnarls Barkley "Crazy"
It’s hard to even start discussing a song as indescribably unique as Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy”. To tell you the truth, I don’t even know how this song became a hit. The members of Gnarls Barkley- DJ and producer Danger Mouse and singer Cee-Lo Green- would hardly be anyone’s idea of the perfect formula for a “commercial” pop group. So what happened? How in the hell did “Crazy” become the major hit that it did?

I think most of it lies in the fact that the song requires a singer with a unique voice and Cee-Lo definitely has that. I mean, just imagine that chorus being sung by someone like Britney Spears or Lindsay Lohan. Without that almost maniacal wail of Cee-Lo tearing into “Does that make me crazy?” the song wouldn’t work- or at least it wouldn’t have been the massive Top 40 hit that it was.

I’m actually really glad Gnarls Barkley rose above their underground status and into the pop charts. It’s a positive boost for the pop music genre to have this song included in it’s ranks and I only hope more artists try to make their sound this original.

No comments: