Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Corny and The Divine One: Happy Birthday!

A couple of "Happy Birthdays" are in order for two very different actors: one of whom I love dearly and judge all other actresses by and the other whom I'm growing quite fond of:

JAMES MARSDEN (Today he is 34)

and, The Divine One herself, GRETA GARBO (She would have been 102)

After seeing Hairspray, I've grown quite fond of James Marsden. He was so super in that movie (plus, he was the only watchable thing about Superman Returns) that I wish he could find another film that will use his talents to good use. He stars in Disney live-action fairytale Enchanted in November as a prince trying to find his lost princess (Amy Adams) in New York City. Glancing at the trailer, it looks like this could be a very good year for Mr. Marsden.

It's hard to even know where to begin with my love for Garbo. How about some common knowledge: She is one of the greatest actresses in the history of film. Bar none. During her hey-day in the late 20's and 30's, she was the most beloved and respected actress in Hollywood. With brilliant performances in films such as Devil and the Flesh, The Kiss, Anna Christie, Mata Hari, Queen Christina, Anna Karenina, Camille and Ninotchka, it's no wonder why, even back then, she was considered the greatest of them all. If you haven't seen any of her work, go out and see something now! I've seen every American film she's been in (there are two German films, The Joyless Street and The Saga of Gosta Berling, that I've yet to catch) and, even if the film sucks, she is just wonderful to watch. I could go on and on about why I love her, but I think her work can speak for itself.

Happy Birthday James and Greta!

No comments: