Monday, January 7, 2008

Top 20 Songs of 2007: #20-16

It's time to start listing my favorite songs of 2007. I know you're totally excited and can't think of anything else you'd rather be doing, so I'll dive right in. Just let me say that I feel less guilty about my picks than I did last year because 2007 had considerably less trashy songs that I thought were amazing. None of the trashy rap songs really caught on with me (a lot of the big ones are on my "Worst of 2007" list) and, Britney aside, none of the pop princesses released anything worth mentioning.

20. Pink "Who Knew?"
I, for one, am glad that Pink is making a comeback. I've liked her ever since Can't Take Me Home but it grew to love with M!ssundaztood, possibly the finest pop album of my generation. So, imagine my dismay when Pink fell off the pop radar for a couple years. But now that's she's back, everything is fine again. I know that "U + Ur Hand" is technically her "comeback" single and as fine a song it is, I really love the the raw emotion Pink pours into "Who Knew?", her most mature song to date. (Listen here)


19. Maroon 5 "Makes Me Wonder"
Come on, you know you love to shout "And it really makes me wonder if I ever gave a FUCK about you" whenever they censor it on the radio. (Listen here)


18. Fergie featuring Ludacris "Glamorous"
I know that "Big Girls Don't Cry" was technically the Fergie song of the year, but for me "Glamorous," with all it's inane lyrics ("Taco Bell, drive thru, raw as hell") and contradictory nature (Take your broke ass home? Thirty seconds ago you just told me you didn't care about money and were still raw as hell) was a much more beautiful disaster. (Listen here)


17. Daughtry "It's Not Over"
His second single, "Home," immediately made him a success with American Idol/adult contemporary audience, but "It's Not Over" is a good old-fashioned pop-rock song that doesn't rely on the cheesy, uplifting message of "Home." (Listen here)


16. Lily Allen "Smile"
Initially, "Smile" sounds like a sweet little love song, but listen to the lyrics ("At first, when I see you cry, it makes me smile) and you quickly realize what an asshole Lily Allen is....and that's why I love her. (Listen here)

No comments: