Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Random Top 10: Things I've Been Doing Instead of Updating

10. Watched a few episodes of Damages
And I'm loving every minute of it. Not only is Glenn Close fan-fucking-tastic (as always) but the show is so addictive I just want to go on a binge and watch the whole season in one sitting. I'm only three episodes in, but it's sucked me in just like Desperate Housewives and Flavor of Love did.

9. Saw both High School Musical and High School Musical 2...again
I am so not proud of myself for this one. I know both of them are complete shit (HSM 2 more so) but they are such perfect movies to sit around with friends and mock for a few hours. Plus, Ashley Tisdale as over-the-top diva Sharpay Evans delivers my new favorite quote in the first HSM: "Evaporate, tall person."

8. Saw Sweeney Todd...and loved it
People aren't lying...it really is Tim Burton's best film since Ed Wood. Johnny Depp was fantastic yet again and Helena Bonham Carter may not have the greatest voice but she understood Mrs. Lovett. And I normally hate kid actors (they're usually so pretentious and annoying that I just want to slap them...Abigail Breslin accepted, of course) but Ed Sanders was a real standout as Toby. Someone sign this kid up for a remake of Oliver!- he would be amazing.

7. Relived the 90's through VH1's Top 100 Songs of the 90's
So I'm only old enough to really remember the music from the last 3 or 4 years of the decade, but it was fun to go back and reminisce on what I could. Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was predictably number one, but I couldn't believe the Backstreet Boys' "I Want It That Way" was so high (like number three or something). If they were going to pick one, they should have went with "As Long As You Love Me" (which is still their greatest song). And was it just me or was Destiny's Child's "Say My Name" released in 2000? Maybe that's just when I first heard it or something, but that's what I seem to remember.

6. Mourned because the finales of my reality shows came on
America's Next Top Model. I Love New York 2. A Shot at Love With Tila Tequila. They all ended pretty much on the same week and it was quite a shock to the system. I need to find some new ones for the upcoming semester (praise Allah for American Idol, which starts soon).

5. Celebrated Christmas
I got Seasons 1 and 2 of House, the Criterion Edition of Breathless, some delicious truffles and washcloths and handtowels (which I desperately needed).

4. Worked on Year End Shit
My Diva Cup Awards won't be coming out for a few months (I have to catch up on movies) but my top songs and albums of the year are starting soon and should finish whenever I get done.

3. Noticed that the anti-Cotillard faction is starting full-force
I read this review of La Vie en Rose this morning and realized that the Cotillard-bashers are filled with venomous rage at her miracle of a performance and are making the J. Hud haters look like they didn't really give a shit. I guess I'll have to start preparing my defense of Cotillard like I did with my girl J. Hud.

2. Caught up on some 2007 films
Besides Sweeney Todd, I managed to see Away From Her and A Mighty Heart (in which Christie acts beautifully and Jolie ACTS, respectively), Sicko made me angrier and sadder than I've ever felt in a film, No Country For Old Men was breathtaking, but definitely deserves a second viewing (or three), The Lives of Others wasn't as spectacular as I thought it was going to be but it was still a mighty fine film (with a perfectly touching ending) and Ratatouille let me down in so many ways: for me, it didn't work as an adult film (no sly humor and rather aimless) or as a kids' film (no interesting, kid-friendly characters and the subject matter)

1. Working
Ugh, I spent so much time at work I wanted to hang myself. I don't want to get fired for naming names, but the soul suckers at my place of employment had me working WAY too many hours during my break. But now I'm done and can enjoy my last few days.

No comments: