Thursday, January 31, 2008

Three Songs From the 90's I Had Forgotten I Loved



Annie Lennox "Walking on Broken Glass"
Okay, so I was only 4 when this song was originally released, but for some reason as soon as I heard it, something inside my head immediately clicked and I was like, "Damn, I remember this song!" The only reason I can think of for remembering it is they must have played it often on my mother's favorite adult contemporary radio station that I listened to all the time when I was a kid (No kidding, I even listened to it while I was going to sleep- a habit I have to this day). I never would have recognized this song if I hadn't listened to it and I'm glad I did because I've been listening to it non-stop for the past 3 days.



Take That "Back For Good"
I pretty much remembered this song from the same radio station, but I forgot how kick ass it really is (well, for a British boy band of the mid-90's). The video is lame and a total precursor to all of those equally lame Backstreet Boys/N Sync videos in which they all stood around in a room and sang their song, but the song is still pretty hot and I love to lead's vocals (especially in the chorus).



Alanis Morissette "You Oughta Know"

Alanis hasn't done much after her breakthrough album (except for that amazing "My Humps" parody), but there's no point denying the power of this song. Yesterday, while discussing Carrie Underwood's "Before He Cheats" I mentioned the anger she puts in her voice and how well it serves the song. Well, Alanis' "You Oughta Know" is the prototype for this type of "fuck with me and I'll fuck you up so much worse" song and will probably never be equaled.

No comments: