Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Books? Never Heard of 'Em...

I've been tagged by DL over at The Cellar Door to do this meme, so I guess I'll oblige since he asked so nicely.

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Locate the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences on your blog and in so doing...
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged me.

Right now I'm reading Charlotte Chandler's Not the Girl Next Door, a biography of Joan Crawford. It's not very good so far and since a lot of it is taken from Crawford herself, I keep imagining her voice when reading and it is fucking creepy. I looked on page 123 and the fifth sentence is nothing more than a boring plot synopsis so I'll move on to another book.

John Welter's Begin to Exit Here is a book I randomly picked up from the bookstore a few years ago and as soon as I read it, I fell in love. The main character, Kurt Clausen, is a sarcastic ass with a dry wit that many would kill for. He works as a journalist for a small town newspaper, but he loathes his job. He is at a low point when he meets Janice, a woman who finally gets him and an editor who lets him write whatever he wants.

"The century was changing things. When lovers looked up at the burning hydrogen at night, it wasn't as romantic. And carnal love had changed, too, Janice said."

Ever since I've read it, I keep hoping someone important will pick it up and make it into a movie. Maybe one day I will write a screenplay for it myself, but I doubt I could ever do it justice.

I'm supposed to tag 5 people, but I'm always the last to get these and everyone else has done this one, so I won't tag anyone.

No comments: