Sunday, May 25, 2008

Reason #4036 Why I Love Diablo Cody

Diablo Cody started occasionally writing a column for Entertainment Weekly right after the success of Juno and since I love her writing style and sense of humor so much, I look forward to every one of her columns. A couple of weeks ago, she wrote one about the Rolling Stones and the Scorsese documentary Shine a Light. What really grabbed my attention, however, is her own experiences with "hipster rock":

"Yeah, I do have a few au courant records on my iPod- tracks by the Babyshambles and the Raconteurs and other talented anemia patients- but the play count is typically stalled around four. (Meanwhile, "Chiquitita" by ABBA is nearing triple digits.)...The soundtrack to my life is pure fondue: cheesy, gooey, prone to accidental seepage."

Not only does Diablo love "Chiquitita" (which I consider ABBA's second greatest song) but I'm intrigued that someone else has the same internal conflict I have when listening to music. I try to listen to hip, interesting music like Lily Allen or Santogold, but instead I find myself listening to "Gimme More" or "The Way I Are" over and over again. I wish I could be cool and discover a new indie artist, but I'm really destined to just listen to Spice for the 200th time. At Diablo feels the same way I do.

No comments: