Friday, October 30, 2009

John & Edward are Ruining Reality Singing Competitons (And I Love Them)

During the seven long months of the year where American Idol isn't consuming my every waking thought, I go through withdrawal. Although exhausting at the time, I feel at my most alive ranting and raving like a lunatic about this dumb singing competition. I may not be solving world peace, but damn it feels good. So, thank goodness Kameron at Kameron Aloud has turned me on to this season's X-Factor. It's just the fix I need to get me through to January and the new season of Idol. And I wasted no time judging the X-Factor's finalists (Apparently I was so harsh, Kameron basically told me to shut the fuck up. Ouch. I suppose I had a lot of pent up bitchiness left over from May). I must say, I'm a tad disappointed in this season's talent. For a show that's brought us both Leona Lewis and Same Difference, I have yet to see that level of potential from more than a couple of contestants. I loved Lucie's audition, but she was kinda blah during the competition until her flawless rendition of 'My Funny Valentine' last week. The Lloydster has had a rough road thusfar, most likely due to the fact that Cheryl has yet to really understand who he is as an artist and pick a song to show that, but his much maligned 'Bleeding Love' was actually quite well done up until that awful chorus (and this is coming from a mega-fan of Leona's original). As for the others, I can't say I've been impressed. Stacie is completely overrated (her ballyhooed version of 'The Scientist' was flat, dull and went absolutely nowhere), Danyl thinks he's already won the damn thing despite being completely dull (bitch please, you are not Jennifer Hudson and you're rendition of "And I Am Telling You" will never match hers, no matter what Simon says) and I want to smack Olly in his smug face every time he appears on screen. But amid these mediocre talents, there is one act that rises above the rest and makes each week an absolute joy to watch. You know them and probably hate them: John and Edward.


Just so you know, I do realize that John and Edward can't sing. Yes, their vocals are always the weakest aspect of their performance. I get it. But they are so damn funny and they definitely know how to put on a good show. Can you honestly watch their performance of "Oops! I Did It Again" and not laugh your ass off? If you didn't at least chuckle during their recreation of the spoken word section, you honestly have no soul.

As much as I like them, however, I honestly believe they deserve every piece of criticism thrown at them from the die hard X-Factor fans. I know how it feels to have a crappy singer invade the Top 12 and then dominate the screen time with theatrics instead of legitimate music talent. Remember people, we all lived through Sanjaya. Some people loved his little joke act and saw the humor in it, but I am so obsessed with Idol that I just couldn't take it. Every damn week I cursed my screen when America voted off a promising talent in favor of this talentless moron. So, Brits, I know exactly what you're going through and I totally sympathize. But I'm not a legitimate X-Factor fanatic yet so I'm not offended by John and Edward's lack of musical talent. At this point, I'm just hoping they stick around for a few more camptastic performances until we can find a true frontrunner this year.

No comments: