Wednesday, November 5, 2008

My Cousin is an Idiot, The World Loves Obama, Jake Gyllenhaal is Hot, etc.

So I wake up this morning, log on to Facebook (like I normally do) and find this lovely status from my cousin to greet me:

Matthew is ummm....basicalllllly, Fuck America and Obama, I hope he dies in office.
Ummm, yeah. Talk about a sore loser. I can understand if you're upset at McCain's loss last night (Lord knows I was about Kerry in 2004) but, seriously, do you think wishing death on someone will make it better? I hate Bush but I would never think, "Things would be so much better if he just died." Jesus, have some respect.

In other news, I was flipping around last night trying to find the best channel to watch the election coverage (I settled on CNN when I realized that Anderson Cooper was there) and I ended up on the French channel- TV5 Monde- for a little bit. To my surprise, they were covering the U.S. presidential election hardcore. I just find it kinda funny that people are around the world are just as excited about Obama winning as we are. Can you imagine Americans tuning in- or even caring- to the next presidential election in France? I don't even think 1/4 of the country could name their current president. I know it's Nicholas Sarkozy, but that's only because I took French a couple of semesters ago. There's no way in hell I could tell you who's running the U.K. The last guy I remember is Tony Blair but I think he resigned or something. So, my point is, congratulations, world: once again you prove how much smarter than we are by pointing out our ignorance. But, hopefully in the New America under President Obama, we can change that- and I'll finally learn the Prime Minister of the U.K.

7 comments:

Jess said...

Gordon Brown in Prime Minister in the UK, and Stephen Meyer is PM of Canada! Sorry, just showing off cause someone asked me the same thing not 2 weeks ago, in an effort to prove we Americans are myopic narcissists. Hope that helps.

Michael Parsons said...

Oh dear about your cousin.....but republicans are usually the ones wishing death on the democrats/liberals. Take no notice (unless your cousin has a gun)

Mine doesn't......few, but I still get very upset that she has a gay cousin she loves (me) and still supports that party.

Anywho...Today is a glorious day

ratatouille's archives said...

OMG!...I think that your post is too funny! and clever!...I had a laugh outloud moment!
Tks, for sharing!

Oh oui, je ne suis soins sur le français et la France !?!... excusez-moi ... ha!

Vance said...

Yah, I ended up watching mostly Canadian coverage because sorry, most of the US ones are still a bit annoying, but basically I heard anywhere from 1 in 3 to 1 in 6 to 1 in 10 Canadians support Obama!

Vance said...

Also, our PM is Stephen Harper, not Meyer. And he's a bit of a twat actually (and linked more to Bush than Obama)

Dame James said...

Jess and Vance: Thanks for the info! See, I'm learning new things already in Obama's America! It's going to be a great 4 years! Oh, and I agree that American coverage was very annoying. Way too much filler and the amount of exit polls and demographics they pulled out of their ass was a waste of time. Just let us know who won what state.

Michael: I think he does...or at least his dad does. Shit. Now I'm worried.

Dark City Dame: I'm glad I could give you an lol moment!

Anonymous said...

There was an election?

(kidding)