Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Fosse Fever


I'm in a bit of a Bob Fosse mood (never a bad thing) after discussing choreography in my History of Broadway class. I personally think that Fosse is one of the most interesting and greatest choreographers ever. His style is so distinct that you can recognize it instantly (it helps when you only have five or so moves that you build on differently each time) and yet each dance is something new and fresh. He also directed two amazing films: Cabaret (which is one of my Top 10 all-time favorite movies) and All That Jazz (I can watch those dance scenes over and over again). Plus, it didn't hurt that he pretty much invented the jazz hands (which I will admit was a great thing for everyone). So, to get you in the Fosse spirit, here's a clip of the "Take Off With Me" number from All That Jazz:



And here's Bebe Neuwirth and Ann Reiking in the 1996 revival of Chicago performing "Nowadays" with the original Fosse choreography:

No comments: