Sunday, April 1, 2007

Excited to See in 2007: "I'm Not There"

There are times when I wonder why I am so excited to see Todd Haynes' new film I'm Not There being released in September. While the two Todd Haynes films I've seen (Far From Heaven and Velvet Goldmine) have been wonderful, neither of them have been "life-changing" and made me a Haynes advocate. Even the film's topic- the life of Bob Dylan- doesn't interest me in the slightest. So what is it that has me excited for this project?


Yes, this is Cate Blanchett playing Bob Dylan. I know, Cate-fucking-Blanchett! What can't this woman do? And she's not the only one playing him- also portraying Dylan are Christian Bale, Richard Gere, Heath Ledger, Marcus Carl Franklin and Ben Whishlaw. I bet you're really confused right now and wondering why six different people are playing Bob Dylan in the same film. Well, apparently Haynes wants to represent the different aspects of Dylan's career with one actor (or Cate Blanchett) playing him at a different point in his life. As an added bonus Julianne Moore, Michelle Williams and Adrien Brody all make appearances as well. This film will be different, but I'm betting with Haynes as director and its impressive A-list cast, it will be amazing.

No comments: