Wednesday, April 11, 2007

American Idol Recap

Okay, so last night's episode wasn't the best one ever, but it wasn't horrible either. The whole Latin music theme was kind of weak since exactly half of the singers picked songs by Santana and Gloria Estefan (not very diverse, eh?) and another one went with Marc Anthony. There was one thing, however, that made up for the weak theme and that was the diva-licious presence of J. Lo. It was kind of ironic that they would ask J. Lo to give the contestants vocal guidance since she is more of an entertainer than a singer herself, but I didn't mind because she has been so boring since the downfall of the original Bennifer and I will lap up anything she will grace her presence with (she did, however, use the musical terms "key" and "half-step" so she's not entirely clueless about music). So, without further ado, here are my thoughts about last night's performances...

1. Melinda Doolittle "Sway"- Not too familiar with the song, but I think Melinda sang it about as well as anyone could have. I wasn't crazy about it, but she's allowed to have an off night (and this really isn't her theme anyways).

2. LaKisha "Conga"- Contrary to the judges opinions, I liked LaKisha singing this. She sings this type of vacant pop song well since she doesn't emote any feelings when she sings. Just imagine her singing "Fergalicious" or "Buttons"...wow, that would be amazing.

3. Chris Richardson "Smooth"- I'm not a huge fan of this song (it got played way too much when it was relased seven years ago and I'm still sick of it) and Chris sang about as well as could be expected, but what really surprised me was how sexy he was during his performance. I don't know what it was about it, but I needed a fan after watching this.

4. Haley Scarnato "Turn the Beat Around"- This bitch needs to seriously die. She is just as bad as Sanjaya and yet she is still on this show. I don't get it. I don't know who told her that tackling this challenging song would be a smart move for her, because she was just plain awful- karaoke at its worst.

5. Phil Stacey "Maria, Maria"- All I'm going to say is that I am not a fan of this song, but after listening to Phil warble through it last night, I will say that I appreciate the original that much more.

6. Jordin Sparks "Rhythm Is Gonna Get You"- Pretty dull for a Jordin Sparks performance and the tempo was slowed down to almost a death march. As with Melinda though, she's allowed to have an off-week.

7. Blake Lewis "I Need To Know"- Blake Lewis is sex on legs and although this wasn't my favorite performance of his, it was still the sexy and hott performance (with plenty of vocal power to back it up) we've come to expect from him.

8. Sanjaya "Besame Mucho"- In the words of Simon, "Does it really even matter what we say anymore?"

Questions for Comments
1. As always, who was your favorite and least favorite last night?
2. What did you think of J. Lo?
3. Why is Haley still on this show?

No comments: