Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Won! I Won!

William Wyler's 1940 film The Letter is one of my favorite movies and I especially love Bette Davis' immaculate performance in it. I've been trying for years to catch the earlier, 1929 version of The Letter, based on the same W. Somerset Maugham play, in which legendary Broadway actress Jeanne Eagels earned her only Oscar nomination before dying of a heroin overdose, but I haven't been able to catch it. I've heard so many great things about this performance from those lucky enough to have seen it (and that it even rivals Davis' interpretation) that I kept on getting more and more excited. Finally, I decided to just browse around on eBay to see if I could find a copy there. I tried three different auctions over the past two weeks and finally won a copy! I was so pumped I almost did a little dance. Now I can't wait for it to be shipped so I can watch it!

No comments: