Friday, April 4, 2008

Five Song Friday: The Spice Girls Go Solo

It's simple. Every Friday, I pick five songs that I've been loving for the past week. They don't have to be new songs or even singles from the album...the only requirement is that they're amazing.



1. Melanie C. "I Turn To You"
I feel like I need to be on ecstasy, sucking on a pacifier to get the most out of this video, but it's still a hot song. Further proof that Mel C had the most talent (vocally, anyways) in the group.



2. Melanie B. "Feels So Good"

Her voice is so unique and interesting that I think if she found the right song, she could score a major hit in America. We love unusual (sometimes) and Mel B definitely fits that bill.



3. Victoria Beckham "Let Your Head Go"
I've already pimped out this song once before, but I'm doing everything it takes to get you to recognize the brilliance of the song and the Mommie Dearest-inspired clip.



4. Geri Halliwell "Look at Me"
I remember that when this song came out in 1999, I was so pissed at Geri for breaking up the Spice Girls that I boycotted this song. Listening to it for the first time in 10 years the other day, I couldn't believe how incredible this song is. And the video is pretty ballsy, too (the funeral of Ginger Spice so quickly after the break-up is especially provocative).



5. Emma Bunton "What Took You So Long?"
Unlike most of the other girls, Emma Bunton's first post-Spice Girls song doesn't sound like anything they did before and is so anti-European pop I'm surprised it didn't cross over into America.

No comments: