Wednesday, March 26, 2008

2007 Diva Cup Awards: Best Musical Scene

The reason I decided to split this category up from Best Scene was simple. If I had kept it the way it was, I would have filled 3 of the 5 spots with musical numbers, so why not just give them their own damn category? It also helped that this year had an abundance of musicals, so there was a ton to choose from.

And the nominees are...
Enchanted: "Happy Working Song"
Only Amy Adams could make this song- or the fact that cockroaches are helping to clean the apartment- work. Her light touch, as she flitters about the apartment in that dramatic ball gown, turned what could have been a throw-off number into something, excuse the pun, enchanted.


Hairspray: "I Can Hear the Bells"
The staging of this number for the big screen (compared to on stage, where it was absolutely nothing) was a blessing. It doesn't hurt that it was also very witty (the teacher's lounge, the nurse).


Hairspray: "Without Love"
An admittedly silly choice, but this is the one musical sequence that I made sure and told everyone about afterwards. What was it about this scene that had me going, made me laugh so hard I really thought I was going to pee? Two words: Zac Efron. I give him mad props for going all the way with this number and, unlike "Bet On It!" from HSM2, it's not a complete embarrassment.


La Vie en Rose: "Non, je ne regrette rien"
The perfect note to end this film on: child Edith, young adult Edith, dying Edith and entertainer Edith all converge with the swelling of emotion from the song. A second viewing on YouTube left me a little cold, but there's no denying that first experience (which was almost the equivalent of J. Hud's "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going").


Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story: "Beautiful Ride"
A hilarious parody of the stereotypical last song of a musical biopic that encompasses all the ups and downs of the singer's life (and even funnier considering that it's mocking just what I loved about the previous nominee La Vie en Rose).

If Only There Were Six: Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street: "Epiphany"
Here comes the barber...and he is pissed.

Rest of the Top 10:
Juno: "Anyone Else But You"...Enchanted: "That's How You Know"...Across the Universe: "Strawberry Fields Forever"...Once: "Falling Slowly"

BRONZE
Enchanted: "Happy Working Song"

SILVER
Hairspray: "Without Love"

GOLD
Hairspray: "I Can Hear the Bells"

1 comment:

Sam Loree said...

you know how I feel when you give "Hairspray" 2 of three awards......funny, because you're so naive.....love you!