Sunday, March 16, 2008

Quick Thought on Amy Ryan

There's this great quote from Bette Davis during her infamous feud with Joan Crawford that goes, "Why am I so good at playing bitches? I think it's because I'm not a bitch. Maybe that's why Joan Crawford always plays ladies."

Why do I mention this? Because I just finished watching Before the Devil Knows You're Dead and after this and Gone Baby Gone, I have come to the conclusion that Amy Ryan must be the sweetest, nicest person on the planet. Why? Because only someone that nice can play two women so despicable as the ones in these films. Not only did she play the worst mother since Joan Crawford in Gone Baby Gone, but she isn't any more pleasant in Before the Devil. She's less crass, but not much. Ryan is unrelenting in her emasculation of her ex-husband Hank (Ethan Hawke), not letting a minute pass by without mentioning the money he owes. Her next big role is in Clint Eastwood's Changeling and I don't know anything about the role she plays, but I hope she plays someone kind-hearted so she can show what a good person she is (and not be typecast)

No comments: