Wednesday, March 26, 2008

2007 Diva Cup Awards: Breakthrough Performance

I decided this year to change this category up a bit. Anyone who was nominated for one of the Top 4 acting awards wasn't eligible for this category. The reason I changed it is because after J. Hud won in both Best Supporting Actress and here, it didn't really give anybody else a chance. I know I don't have to be so democratic, since it's my personal awards, but I'm in a giving mood. Just call me Jesus.

And the nominees are...
Nikki Blonsky, Hairspray
This is a debut?! Holy mother of God! Blonsky sings and dances like a hoofer who's been doing this for 20 years. Definitely excited to see what she does next.



Michael Cera, Juno, Superbad
With two opportunities to display his off-beat comic timing, Cera took full advantage and stood out among A+ ensembles in both films.



Saoirse Ronan, Atonement
She works hard to make you hate her...not an easy thing for a kid actor to do. Can't wait for The Lovely Bones to see if this was a one-shot performance or just the beginnings of an amazing career.



Ed Sanders, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
I'm not usually one for kid performances, but Sanders goes above and beyond the usual child actor tricks. As soon as I left the theater, I looked over at my friend Jill and said, "This kid needs to be in a remake of Oliver!...now!"



Carice van Houten, Black Book
She turned me on and gave a fantastic performance in the same film. What will she do as an encore?

If Only There Were Six: Elijah Kelley, Hairspray "Run and Tell That!" was phenomenal...and the rest ain't too shabby either.

Rest of the Top 10: Zac Efron, Hairspray, High School Musical 2...Dillon Freasier, There Will Be Blood...Emile Hirsch, Into the Wild...Reece Thompson, Rocket Science

BRONZE
Michael Cera

SILVER
Nikki Blonsky

GOLD
Carice van Houten

No comments: