Sunday, March 16, 2008

2007 Diva Cup Awards: Best Cameo/Limited Performance

I'm ready to move on with 2008, but before I can do that I have to wrap up 2007 with my annual Diva Cup Awards. This year, I saw 66 films, which is 10 more than I saw in 2006 (and four months sooner, as well) and I am pumped to share with you my favorites in 16 categories. I added a couple of new ones this year and Best Cameo/Limited Performance is one of them. I hope you enjoy and let me know what you think my nominees in this or any category.

P.S. I know I already cheated with having 6 nominees, but there were so many strong cameos this year and I didn't want to split this up into two categories. So sue me.

And the nominees are...

Roger Bart as U.S. Attorney in American Gangster
Bart puts a jolt into the quickly deadening film with a fierce intensity and the shock of seeing Mr. Broadway Nice Guy dropping the "n-word" so viciously.


Jack Black, Justin Long, Paul Rudd and Jason Schwartzman as The Beatles in Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Together, these four shamelessly steal the scene away from John C. Reilly and have the funniest moment of the entire film.


Adam Brody as Stephen Montgomery in The Ten
Brody shows us in The Ten that he can also play characters that aren't Seth Cohen...and he can do so hilariously.


Margo Martindale as Carol in Paris, Je T'Aime
Paris has never seemed lovelier than through the eyes of the bewitching Martindale. I love it when hard working character actresses receive the attention they deserve.


Julianne Moore as Alice Fabian in I'm Not There
Moore ably provides us with the background on Christian Bale's Jack Rollins with her usual warmth. Bonus points for "Hey, that's my chair" and her other small ways of making Alice real.


Kristen Wiig as Jill in Knocked Up
She really serves no purpose in the context of the movie, but Wiig is utterly hilarious dryly (and somewhat, but not really, subtly) putting down Katherine Heigl.


If Only There Were Six Seven: Valerie Tian, Juno Tian turns the one-note Su-Chin into an adorable pro-life poster child

Rest of the Top Ten:
Gena Rowlands, Paris Je T'Aime...Steve Buscemi, Paris, Je T'Aime...Nick Nolte, Paris, Je T'Aime

BRONZE
Roger Bart

SILVER
Margo Martindale

GOLD
Jack Black, Justin Long, Paul Rudd and Jason Schwartzman

No comments: