Wednesday, September 17, 2008

This Fall Isn't Just About Great Movies...

....well, I'm not going to lie, the movies do hold a little more importance for me, but the multitude of new CD's coming out by artists I actually like in the coming months is impressive. It's seriously blowing my mind. I've been compiling this list for the past week or so and I still don't think I've covered everything, so if I'm missing a great artist's upcoming album, let me know and if I like the artist too, I'll add them.
  • Pussycat Dolls Doll Domination (9/23) I'm probably in the minority when I say that the Pussycat Dolls' debut album PCD is a near pop masterpiece, but it truly is. It flaunts it's trashiness like Michael Phelps' gold medals and there's nothing I love more than camp embracing it's campiness. The first single from Doll Domination, "When I Grow Up," is almost up to that camp standard (the opening is epic but I still can't get over the crap chorus) so let's hope that the rest of the album is a tad bit more focused.
  • Jennifer Hudson Jennifer Hudson (9/30) OMGJenniferHudson! If the rest of the album is as brilliant as her first single "Spotlight," then we're probably looking at the album of the year.
  • Michelle Williams Unexpected (10/7) Michelle who? Let me remind you, in case you were brainwashed have forgotten that there were two other members of Destiny's Child beside Beyonce. Kelly Rowland released an album last year that was half good, half not-so-good so now it's Michelle Williams' turn to try to steal some of Beyonce's spotlight. With "We Break the Dawn," the amazingly epic song that's burning up the radio and everyone's talking about...what, you haven't heard it? Oh, that's right. When people are given a great track that even fits the current popular taste, it's the American way to ignore them for Kid Rock and Lil' Wayne.
  • Sugababes Catfights & Spotlights (10/20- UK release date) Amazing album title, hot first single and a track with the greatest lyrics I've heard in a long time. Look what you're missing out on, America!
  • Pink Funhouse (10/28) "So What" is my new official angry anthem and Pink hasn't disappointed me musically since...well, ever! Pink defined my teenage years with her M!ssundaztood album so it's stands to chance that Funhouse could start my 20's off with a bang, right?
  • David Archuleta TBA (11/11) In my opinion, this little cutie should have won American Idol this season, but apparently my opinion doesn't matter and America hates me (I'm not bitter!). As a tradition, albums from the second place finishers usually suck, but I have faith in my Davie because of his first single, "Crush." The lyrics and music are pure boy band cheese, but Archuleta sells it like a true pro and, before I know it, I'm singing along with every word and listening to it on repeat over and over again.
  • Missy Elliott Block Party (11/11) Missy always delivers a hot album with a sick singles and visually impressive music videos. These days, she's hip hop's saving grace so we need to treasure every ounce of originality from her.
  • Beyonce Virtuoso Intellect (?) (11/18) I'm not sure how I feel about the rumored title yet, but it's f-ing Beyonce, man. There's not too much info on this one as of right now, although she just shot the video for her first single "If I Were a Man" a couple of weeks ago. The best news: the video is supposed to be thematically similar to her "Ring the Alarm" video (aka one of the greatest music videos of the decade). Oh, don't tell me you've forgotten? I officially can't wait!
  • The Killers Day & Age (11/25) Little known fact: J'adore The Killers. "Mr. Brightside" and "When You Were Young" are absolutely two of my favorite songs ever. If Day & Age offers one song as good as either of them, this will be one hot album.
  • Britney Spears Circus (12/2) Without a doubt, this is my most anticipated album of the year. If Blackout, a true masterpiece if I've ever heard one, was made during her famed meltdown, just imagine the mindblowing album that could come out of her now that she's got her life on track. We'll hear her first single, "Womanizer," on the 22nd, so let's cross our fingers that this will be another winner from Miss Spears.
  • Girls Aloud TBA (TBA) No details have been released about Girls Aloud's newest album, but I literally can't get the first single, "The Promise," out of my head or off repeat. It's so damn catchy and unlike anything I've heard from them or am hearing currently on the radio. Listen for yourself.
I'm going to be so poor by December.

3 comments:

J.D. said...

I've really been digging "Spotlight" lately. Whatever your opinions of her acting, she is definitely an amazing artist.

Also: BRITNEY omfg. I almost had an aneurysm when I read it was coming out so soon, and on HER BIRTHDAY. Pure amazingness.

Glenn Dunks said...

Agreed on all except the Pussycat Dolls. Doll Domination is pretty much an entire album of filler tracks. Or, at least, that's what it sounds like on first listen. Pretty flat, with only the ballad-ish "I Hate This Part" being worth crowing over.

Michelle Williams' Unexpected is quite good and has some KILLER tracks, but it's also weighed down by some of the same ol' same ol' bland crap she's known for.

But, yeah, Sugababes, Girls Aloud, Pink, Britney, Jennifer Hudson, The Killers are all of the highest anticipatory level for me. I'm really hoping Beyonce hits her new one out of the park after two disappointing albums (great singles, mind) and that dud third DC album. Especially since she is apparently working with the Freemasons (aka Gods To Pop Music Fans Everywhere), and their remixes of her tracks are some of the best songs of the decade "Ring the Alarm", "Green Light", "Deja Vu" remixes are all B-R-I-L-L-I-A-N-T-!

Glenn Dunks said...

Oh, and I gotta agree about Missy Elliot too. She's one of the only artists who remembers what hip-hop used to be like (in the '80s) when it was a burgeoning underground enterprise and not a homogenised bore.